The Truth About Moroccan Oil… And Why You Should Be Wary | The Cupid Bow

moroccan oilNow before you read on, I need you to understand I’m talking about Moroccan Oil and not Argan Oil. Yes they both come from Morocco, which makes things extremely confusemundo, but there is a difference between the two. And here comes the boring bit… Argan Oil comes straight from the Argan tree in Morocco, put into a bottle and that’s it. Finite. Done. There’s nothing else stuffed into the bottle, just pure Moroccan tree juice. Now Moroccan Oil… Is kind of the same thing. It basically is Argan Oil, however companies have stuffed them with other ingredients, such as silicones, so that they can’t actually call it Argan Oil anymore and get round this by calling it (you’ve guessed it) Moroccan Oil. “Why would they bother to stuff them full of other ingredients?” I hear you cry. Well here’s the catch… And you’re probably not gunna like it.

The silicones that are stuffed into Moroccan Oil act as a protector for your hair. Once they’re in they make your hair feel silky smooth and you wonder how you and your barnet ever lived without it. So you keep using the Moroccan Oil. You overdose on it. You clear the shelves in your local beauty store of the stuff. However… And here’s the bad news… Once you eventually stop using Moroccan Oil and you’ve washed the silicones out you will notice that your hair is drier than Kerry Katona’s bank account and probably far worse off than before. Silicones take something with them when you’ve washed them out. So what are you going to put on your hair to make it feel silkier? Why Morrocan Oil of course! In it goes again and you are stuck in this downwards spiral to Hair Hell.

Moroccan Oil is addictive. Once you’ve started using it you won’t want to stop using it. And it’s killing your hair. And making these companies very rich at the same time. Unfortunately I’ve learnt this the hard way when I asked one of the hair tutors at the makeup academy I’m studying at why my hair was so dry. He asked if I had been using Moroccan Oil, and pulled a sympathetic face when I confirmed that I “loved it!” Yeah… Not so much anymore.

So if you are going to use a hair oil, make sure it’s a pure Argan Oil with 100% actual Argan Oil in it! To my knowledge, they’re not actually allowed to call it that if it has any other ingredients in it. But always check the back of the bottle before putting it in your basket. If like me your hair is as thirsty as a camel in the Sahara, give it some lovin’ via hair masks and deep conditioning treatments. And lay off the heat for a while if you can and use a blowdrying lotion or spray.

Be careful out there guys…

Follow me on bloglovin here!
the cupid bow

Share:

22 Comments

1. May 6, 2014 / 8:14 pm

Thank you! This was very informative. I have two different argan oil products, and even though you say they’re okay if called argan oil, I’m going to check anyway

2. May 6, 2014 / 9:05 pm

Oh i’m really shocked at that! I love Morroccan Oil and use it every day.. Now I can see why haha! Will definitely switch to Argan oil as soon as I finish this bottle. Thanks for clearing that up for me hun 🙂 xx

3. May 6, 2014 / 9:06 pm

This post made me laugh! On a serious note, thanks for clarifying. I never would have known otherwise. X

4. May 6, 2014 / 9:11 pm

Haha you’re welcome doll. Glad I raised a smile 🙂 x

5. May 6, 2014 / 9:28 pm

love this article! thank you so much! I’m so shocked because my HAIRDRESSER recommended it! 🙁 will not be using this again. thank you again!

6. May 6, 2014 / 9:33 pm

Unfortunately a lot of hairdressers aren’t trained in product ingredients and probably wouldn’t know the difference themselves. I only found out because my hair tutor is one of the best in the business and been doing it 30 years… But you’re welcome! X

7. May 7, 2014 / 8:13 am

Noooooooo but I LOVE Moroccan oil! *stamps feet*

8. May 7, 2014 / 8:47 am

Well it doesn’t love you! Haha x

9. May 7, 2014 / 8:48 am

No, so I see! That’s really naughty, I adore the stuff and it smells so good!

10. May 7, 2014 / 8:58 am

Unfortunately, I think you’ll find silicone is in lots of regular shampoo’s and conditioners too – always read the ingredients to be sure (quite often listed as dimethicone) x

11. May 7, 2014 / 9:43 am

I totally agree with you..a lot of the products that have argan oil also have silicones which are not so good for the hair!

12. May 7, 2014 / 12:13 pm

This pretty much is the same as a lot of hair products you can pick up off the shelves in Boots. All full of silicones which just make your hair feel like it’s doing something when reality is it’s just putting a film over your hair. People always say their hair gets used to a product, but it doesn’t, it’s just your hair and roots have become suffocated in the silicones that it can no longer breath! I’ve stopped using Boots products and opt for salon products and have noticed a real change x Great post! http://justjulie81.blogspot.co.uk/

13. May 7, 2014 / 5:39 pm

jojoba and coconut oil are great alternatives! Their molecule structure is very small and easily penetrate into the hair shaft so you’ll get all the moisture in your hair instead of on it. Silicones can’t penetrate the hair they bind to the cuticle so that’s what creates that super dry feeling when you stop using the Moroccan oil- the silicones never let anything nourishing in!

14. May 7, 2014 / 5:46 pm

The difference with that though Carrie is that you can often wash them out easily. The silicones found in Moroccan oil are almost like plastic and very hard to wash out, but when you do they ruin your hair. It all sucks basically x

15. May 7, 2014 / 7:16 pm

great post! I know moroccan oil is not great for your hair so’s I don’t use it often but love the silky frizz free way it leaves my hair. Huge fan of Argan Oil though x

16. Zahil
    June 8, 2015 / 9:25 pm

Hi you’re totally right about Moroccan oil but it is also very hard to get decent 100% pure Argan oil as it is a very sensitive oil.

This is the reason why i am launching my own product called ARGAN VANITY 100% pure organic Argan oil

I can send you a sample if you will like to try some, just email me on arganvanity@gmail.com

thanks

17. Arganolje
    October 19, 2015 / 11:36 am

Thanks for a clearifying post. Unfortunately the Moroccanoil is a very professional scam. It is made in Israel from a hybrid-tree planted in the regions Ashkelon, Arava and Negev. This tree cannot at all be compared to the real Argan-tree.

However the clever marketing misleads people to believe it’s from Morocco. To make it even worse the following chemicals are added:

Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, Hybrid-‘argan’ oil, Parfum, Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed) Seed Extract, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Benzyl Benzoate, Alpha – Isomethyl Ionone, CI 26100 (Red 170, CI 47000 (Yellow 11).

As with all scams they will eventually be found out, and the suppliers of ‘Moroccanoil’ are at risk of facing a massive lawsuit.